A yoghurt marinade keeps this bird juicy and tender. Opening out the chicken reduces the cooking time for a quick roast.
- For the marinade
- For the chicken
- For the cucumber salad
- For the chicken, mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- With a sharp knife, carefully slash the chicken legs two or three times down to the bone. Rub the marinade into the chicken, massaging into the meat.
- Place on a plate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but you can leave it for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off, but do not wipe clean. Pour a little olive oil onto the griddle pan then add the chicken, skin side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden and scored with brown griddle marks.
- Transfer to a roasting tin and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until completely cooked through. Test the chicken is cooked by pushing a skewer into the thigh meat – if the juices run clear the chicken is cooked.