1. Dining with Richard Godwin at Bentley’s Oyster Bar where he interviews me about all the meals I’ve had on the way to reaching 70, I start with cracking mackerel from the enticing list of daily specials.
2. Angela Hartnett’s Café Murano in Covent Garden really nails vitello tonnato. Exactly the right amount of sauce.
3. My birthday party at L’Escargot — oysters, snails (of course), salt beef, smoked eel sandwiches, squid bhajias, lamb biriyani and Taiwanese buns.
4. Late recovery lunch with my daughter Hannah at The Wells, my sister’s Hampstead pub. Melon, cucumber, tomato, green bean, barrel-aged feta (with which I identify), toasted sunflower and mint salad sort of sets me straight.
5. Quick and rather wistful lunch including pork and prawn summer rolls (pictured) at Bang Bang Vietnamese Canteen in Warren Street with my younger daughter Alice before she flies away back to Oz.