Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

NewsTimes.co.ukNewsTimes.co.uk

UK NEWS

Omagh bomb: ‘Real prospect attack could have been prevented’

It is plausible that there was a real prospect the 1998 Omagh bombing could have been prevented by the security services, a judge has ruled.

Mr Justice Mark Horner also called for new investigations on both sides of the Irish border.

He made the ruling at Belfast High Court in a case brought by Michael Gallagher, whose son Aiden was one of the victims.

No one has ever been convicted of carrying out the attack.

In his ruling, the judge said: “I am satisfied that certain grounds when considered separately or together give rise to plausible allegations that there was a real prospect of preventing the Omagh bombing.

“These grounds involve, inter alia, the consideration of terrorist activity on both sides of the border by prominent dissident terrorist republicans leading up to the Omagh bomb.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He added: “It is not within my power to order any type of investigation to take place in the Republic of Ireland but there is a real advantage in an Article 2 compliant investigation proceeding in the Republic of Ireland simultaneously with one in Northern Ireland.

“Any investigation will have to look specifically at the issue of whether a more proactive campaign of disruption, especially if co-ordinated north and south of the border, had a real prospect of preventing the Omagh bombing, and whether, without the benefit of hindsight, the potential advantages of taking a much more aggressive approach towards the suspected terrorists outweighed the potential disadvantages inherent in such an approach.”

The judge said he was “not going to order a public inquiry to look at the arguable grounds of preventability”.

Public inquiry call

Responding to the verdict, Michael Gallagher said: “The court’s conclusions today, almost 23 years after the Omagh bomb, vindicate the consistent view that there are significant issues that need to be appropriately investigated.

“The only mechanism that can bring about truth and justice is a full public inquiry.”

Mr Gallagher told the media the judgement was “quite difficult to take in” due to the “enormity” of what the judge said.

“For a very long time there’s been no doubt in my mind that Omagh was a preventable atrocity, but nobody wanted to hear that message, not the Irish government, not the British government, but now we have an independent person who has said it.”

Stanley McComb and Michael Gallagher
Stanley McComb and Michael Gallagher, who lost loved ones in the bombing, respond to Friday’s ruling

Secretary of State Brandon Lewis said the families deserve answers and he had “great respect for their patience, grace and determination”.

He added: “We recognise that today the court has set out that there are ‘plausible allegations that there was a real prospect of preventing the Omagh bombing’ and that more should be done to investigate this.

“The UK government will take time to consider the judge’s statement and all its recommendations carefully as we wait for the full judgment to be published.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The legal case began in 2013 and concluded two years ago, but the judgement has only now been delivered.

The Lord chief justice’s office blamed the delay on the assessment of “sensitive” documents.

RUC and forensic officers sift through the debris of the Omagh explosion
RUC and forensic officers sift through the debris of the Omagh explosion

The legal action followed a decision by the government to reject the need for a public inquiry eight years ago.

It said there had been multiple investigations, including those involving the Police Ombudsman.

Central to Mr Gallagher’s case were claims that intelligence from British security agents, MI5 and RUC officers could have been drawn together to prevent the bombing.

There were national security issues around the hearing of evidence, which delayed matters, but it concluded in July 2019.

www.bbc.co.uk

You May Also Like

UK NEWS

Professing to be the lead in Thai relationship with over 1.5 million enrolled single people, Cupid Media’s ThaiCupid brings the one in every of...

WORLD NEWS

An exclusive article form Orestis Karipis In the 1930’s and 1940’s acid was the weapon of deceived husbands and wives in the Western world...

UK NEWS

Read more about switzerland women here. Swiss ladies and men are not reknown for being the most chatty, outgoing or spontaneous when meeting strangers...

FOOD TIPS

In food, if there is one thing you can say without fear of contradiction, it is this: Britain loves burgers. The UK market is...

Copyright © 2020 NewsTimes.co.uk All Rights Reserved