Nigel Slater’s recipe uses beef ribs and fresh tomatoes for a no-effort dish with all the flavours that make spaghetti bolognese so loved.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 fan/Gas 4.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large roasting tin on the hob. Add the short ribs and fry for 3-4 minutes on all sides, or until browned all over. Add the onions and carrots, then transfer to the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, tuck the tomatoes and the whole garlic bulb into the roasting tin, pour in the beef stock and continue to cook for a further hour.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions, then drain well and set aside.
- Remove the beef ribs from the roasting tin and set aside on a chopping board to rest.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into the roasting tin. Using a slotted spoon or fork, lightly squash the tomatoes and mix them and the garlic into the sauce.
- Slide the short-rib meat off the bones and cut it into strips. Return the meat to the roasting tin.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve.