Nigel Slater’s Chinese-style duck with spiced chutney goes down a treat slathered over homemade flatbreads.
- For the shredded duck
- For the flatbreads
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
- For the shredded duck, place the duck in a roasting tin and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the shallots and roast for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the plums to the roasting tin and stir the shallots in the fat released from the duck. Cook for a further hour, or until the duck is cooked. (The duck is cooked through if the juices run clear when the bird is pierced in the thickest part of the leg.)
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the red onions and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until they begin to caramelise. Sprinkle over the grated ginger.
- Add the cloves, star anise, redcurrant jelly and prunes to the onion mixture and continue to cook gently for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and set the chutney aside; reheat when the duck is cooked.
- While the duck is still cooking, make the flatbreads. In a bowl, mix the plain flour, yeast, salt and warm water until the mixture comes together as a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly until smooth. Roll the dough into a ball and place in a clean bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside to prove for 20 minutes.
- Grind the garlic, chillies and salt in a pestle and mortar along with the olive oil. Add the butter and chopped parsley and mix well.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece out onto a lightly floured work surface to a 30cm/12in square. Spread each flatbread with some of the butter mixture.
- Fold the flatbread from left to middle then right to the very left so that it ends up one-third of its original width. Then fold each flatbread from bottom to middle and top to very bottom so that it ends up one-third of its original height. Roll each flatbread out to the thickness of a pound coin.
- When the duck is cooked, pull the meat from the duck carcass and lightly shred it using tongs and a fork. Stir the shredded duck meat into the chutney. Stir in the roasted shallots. Remove the stones from the softened plums and add the flesh to the chutney.
- Dry-fry each flatbread in a frying pan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until light golden-brown on both sides. Serve alongside the warm shredded duck.