A four-year-old girl has been praised for her actions in calling for an ambulance when her mum was taken ill.
Kaitlyn Wright from Askerswell, Dorset, dialled 999 earlier this month when she was at home with her mother Charlene, who began having a seizure.
South Western Ambulance Service (SWAS) said she showed “wisdom beyond her years” in talking to the call handler and explaining her mum’s condition.
Paramedics were dispatched and Mrs Wright recovered.
‘Little guardian angel’
The ambulance service has released a recording of the call in which Kaitlyn is heard saying “Mummy is having a fit and I need to look after her.”
A spokesperson said she “showed extraordinary bravery, presence of mind and wisdom beyond her years”.
Kaitlyn visited the SWAS’s 999 control centre near Bristol earlier when she was formally commended for her actions.
Mrs Wright described her daughter as her “little guardian angel”.
“I just remember Kaitlyn’s dad bringing her back to the house and asking if I needed shopping and he went off. The next thing I know the paramedic is looking at me.
“I have regular seizures so all three children know exactly what to do, we’ve been very thorough with it.”
Surprised by tiny voice
Kaitlyn’s father, Simon Wright, said: “Just teaching her to press the three little buttons, and the green one, and asking for help – it’s saved Charlene’s life and if she hadn’t done that we might not be sitting here today. It’s amazing.”
Mrs Wright added: “My first thought was, ‘I’m safe with all three of my children’. It’s probably one of the best feelings in the world.
“It’s quite scary when you’re not well, and you’re vulnerable, but I know she can save my life.
“She saved me, basically, because anything could have happened while no-one was there.”
Jess Hodkinson, who answered the 999 call, said she was “impressed” with Kaitlyn.
“I was quite surprised because she had such a tiny voice, so I knew it was a young child but she was really brave, she answered my questions clearly and with confidence and she knew exactly what to do in an emergency.”